It’s blackberry winter here in Ky.
According to the wise farmers we have 5 spring time winters here in Ky.
1. Redbud Winter that usually falls in early April while the beautiful mountains are full of purple budding trees.
2. Dogwood Winter usually falls at the end of April and around Easter.
3. Locust Winter is a cold spell in early May. These trees bloom with pods of small white fragrant blooms.
4. Blackberry Winter is usually cold and rainy in mid May. The vines are blooming with beautiful bright white blooms now!
5. Cotton Britches Winter/Whippoorwill Winter. I’ve heard it called both. It is the last cold spell and time to put your britches up and the Whippoorwill will migrate from Mexico to us . It is rarely saw due to its camouflage color but we will start to hear it’s sweet song soon! I can’t wait!
Y’ALL GET READY IT’S ALMOST SUMMER! One more cold spell and you can put your long johns up for the summer.
Mekeshia Jordan, nature lover